Commonwealth PhD Scholarships 2020 UK
Commonwealth PhD Scholarships 2020 are for candidates from high income Commonwealth countries, for full-time doctoral study at a UK university commencing in January 2021.These scholarships are funded by the UK Department for Education in conjunction with UK universities to support world class research and to contribute to UK higher education and research to help sustain international recognition of the UK higher education system and for the benefit of wider society. The CSC does not offer scholarships to candidates from high income Commonwealth countries who have already started their PhD study in the UK.
Selection process for Commonwealth PhD Scholarships 2020 UK
Eligible applications will be will undergo a first sifting process based on academic merit, from this sift a shortlist will be created and only those who have made the shortlist will be considered; firstly by an academic adviser with expertise in the subject area concerned, and then by the CSC selection committee in competition with other candidates.
Applications will be considered according to the following selection criteria:
- Academic merit of the candidate
- Quality of the research proposal
- Potential of the candidate to lead in the pursuit of global excellence in research and knowledge
- For further details, see the Commonwealth PhD Scholarships (for high income countries) 2020 selection criteria.
Commonwealth PhD Scholarships 2020 UK Benefits
The scholarship value includes:
- Approved airfare from your home country to the UK and return at the end of your award (the CSC will not reimburse the cost of fares for dependents, nor usually, the cost of journeys made before your award is finally confirmed)
- Approved tuition fees
- Stipend (living allowance) at the rate of £1,110 per month, or £1,362 per month for those at universities in the London metropolitan area.
- Thesis grant towards the cost of preparing a thesis or dissertation, where applicable.
- Warm clothing allowance, where applicable.
- Study travel grant towards the cost of study-related travel within the UK or overseas.
- Provision towards the cost of fieldwork undertaken overseas (usually the cost of one economy class return airfare to your fieldwork location), were approved.
- Paid mid-term visit (airfare) to your home country (unless you have claimed (or intend to claim) spouse and/or child allowances during your scholarship, or have received a return airfare to your home country for fieldwork)
Eligibility for Commonwealth PhD Scholarships 2020 UK
To apply for these fellowships, you must:
- Be a citizen of or have been granted refugee status by an eligible Commonwealth country
- Show evidence that you are permanently resident in an eligible Commonwealth country. You must have lived in an eligible Commonwealth country for a continuous period of five years within the last ten years. If the CSC is unable to determine this from your application, you will be contacted to provide further evidence.
- Be available to start your academic studies in the UK between January/February 2021 (to be agreed by the CSC)
- Hold a first degree of at least upper second class (2:1) honours standard, or a second-class degree and a relevant postgraduate qualification (usually a Master’s degree) by the time of submitting your scholarship application
- Not be registered for a PhD, or an MPhil leading to a PhD, at a UK university before January 2021
- Not have commenced and be currently registered for a PhD, or an MPhil leading to a PhD, in your home country or elsewhere
- Hold an unconditional offer from your chosen university/universities listed on your CSC online application, at the point of being notified that you have been provisionally selected for an award by the CSC*
- References from at least 2 individuals
- A supporting statement from a proposed supervisor at one or more of the UK universities
- Provided all supporting documentation in the required format
Eligible Commonwealth countries for Commonwealth PhD Scholarships 2020 UK
British Virgin Islands
St Kitts and Nevis
Trinidad and Tobago
Turks and Caicos Islands
Terms and conditions for Commonwealth PhD Scholarships 2020 UK
Full eligibility criteria and general conditions of award is included in the Commonwealth PhD Scholarships (for high income countries) 2020 terms and conditions.
Please read all sections of the terms and conditions before applying.
How to apply for Commonwealth PhD Scholarships 2020 UK
You must make your application directly to the CSC using the CSC’s online application system. The CSC will not accept any applications that are not submitted via the online application system. You are not required to apply via a nominating body for these scholarships.
Application deadline: Your application must be submitted by 17:00 (BST) on 20 July 2020 at the latest.