Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology GIST Scholarship 2021
Applications are invited from suitable candidates to apply for the Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology GIST Scholarship 2021 for International Students in Korea. The said Scholarship is Fully Funded to obtain Master Degree Programs, Ph.D. Degree Programs, Integrated MS., and Ph.D. Program from the Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology, Korea. All the Expenses will be covered by the University.There are almost 300 Scholarships available for Masters/MPhil and Ph.D. and MS leading to Ph.D. for Spring 2021.
Details regarding Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology GIST Scholarship 2021
- GIST welcomes you, pioneers of advanced science and technology! The Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology is a research-oriented institute established by the Korean government in 1993, and through the Ministry of Science and Technology is providing full financial support to students in order to foster scientific technologists with advanced leadership skills. In the 26-year history of its establishment, GIST’s research and education are evolving towards world-class levels.
To enhance our competitiveness, GIST has carefully selected leading fields of science and technology, which includes Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Materials Science and Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Earth Sciences and Environmental Engineering, Life Science, Physics and Photon Science, Chemistry, Biomedical Science and Engineering, Nanobio Materials and Electronics, Integrated Technology, and Artificial Intelligence. In addition, students admitted to GIST have privileges of full scholarship, complementary accommodation (including dormitory or apartment), supplementary research funds among the others. In 2010, GIST opened its doors to undergraduate students. GIST is the first university in the nation to adopt an innovative system providing a comprehensive, foundational science curriculum to serve as a stepping stone for research into a wide variety of science and engineering fields.
- Country Name: South Korea
- University Name: Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology
- Program: Masters/MPhil and Ph.D. MS leading to Ph.D
- Eligible Nationality: International Students
- Total Award: Fully Funded
- Deadline: 15th October 2020
Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology GIST Scholarship 2021 Benefits
The scholarship value includes:
Tuition Assistance (All students)
- Tuition fully supported: 3,415,000 won per semester
※ The one-time matriculation fee of 680,000 won is charged to all newly admitted students to be enrolled. Some students may be exempt from this fee.
Monthly Stipends (All International Students)
- Student allowance: 140,000 won per month for M.S. students, 295,000 won per month for Ph.D. students
- Meal allowance: nearly 100,000 won per month
※Students should have completed at least 9 credits in the previous semester for the above two.
- International student allowance: 120,000 won per month
※ GPA of 3.0 or higher (out of 4.5) in the previous semester
(All students participating in research projects)
Average as of 2017
- 4,820,000 won per year of M.S.
- 11,480,000 won per year of Ph.D.
Housing (All Students)
※ The waiting time may take longer than expected.
※ The housing fees will be increased every year.
※ Utility fees are charged separately.
※ Additional costs may occur for wall papering or flooring.
- Dormitory (as of 2019)
Health Insurance (All International Students)
- 60% of the Korean National Health Insurance fee is supported.
※Other options may exist.
- Annual medical checkup
Flight Reimbursement (All Incoming International Students)
- Reimbursement for a one-way flight to Korea
※For the first time use only.
※Exchange Rate: USD 1 = KRW 1,074.10 (as of May 2, 2018)
Degree programs at Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology GIST Scholarship 2021
- Master of Science Program (M.S.)
- Doctor of Philosophy Program (Ph.D.)
- Integrated M.S. and Ph.D. Program (M.S./Ph.D.)
GIST offers M.S., Ph.D. and integrated M.S. and Ph.D. degree programs.
Students are expected to maintain full-time student status and continuous registration until the completion of all requirements. It normally takes two years to finish an M.S. program and four years for a Ph.D. program. The maximum completion times for the M.S., Ph.D. and M.S./Ph.D. progrmas are three years, seven years and eight years respectively.
- School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
- School of Mechanical Engineering
- School of Earth Sciences and Environmental Engineering
- School of Life Science
- Department of Physics and Photon Science
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Biomedical Science and Engineering
- School of Integrated Technology
- Artificial Intelligence Graduate School
- School of Materials Science and Engineering
Eligible Countries for Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology GIST Scholarship 2021
- Applicants from all around the world can apply with any nationality
- Must hold a Bachelors’s Degree if applying to Master Program.
- Must hold a Masters’s Degree if applying to the Doctoral Program.
Required Documents for Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology GIST Scholarship 2021
(1) Online Application
- Submission of the online application at
(2) Certified Degree/Diploma and Transcripts
- A certified copy of the official degree(s) of bachelor and master(for doctoral applicants) from the institution(s) attended or attending should be submitted.
- Certified documents with apostille attached (or Korean embassy certificate) are preferred.
(3) Two Letters of Recommendation on the Prescribed Form in Sealed Envelopes
- Two letters of recommendation on the prescribed form will be acceptable.
Only this form will be acceptable for two letters of recommendation.
- Only for GIST graduates who apply for Ph. D. program to the same academic advisor, the recommendation letters can be replaced with ‘Confirmation Certificate for Ph. D. Applicant’
(4) An Official English Proficiency Test Score Report
- Minimum scores: 80(TOEFL iBT), 6.5(Academic IELTS), 750(TOEIC), 600(TEPS), 327(NEW TEPS).
- Tests must be taken within two years before the deadline date.
- Only original copies will be accepted.
- For IELTS only, photocopies will be accepted.
- Our institution code for ETS is 0144.
- Conditional Admissions(Extended of Deadline for English Proficiency Test Score Report)
- Submission of the online application at
(5) A Copy of the Applicant’s Passport
How to apply for Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology GIST Scholarship 2021
Submit the online application
Send all required documents by mail to GIST Admissions
Notification of the admissions results
Completion of enrollment requires the reception of documents and paying the Matriculation Fee.
Apply for a student visa.
Deadline for Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology GIST Scholarship 2021
- The last date to apply for the the Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology GIST Scholarship 2021 is 15th October 2020.